Wednesday, January 2, 2013

all I got were sweet grapes -- an exercise in gratefulness.

I may have skewed the results a bit by toasting the new year with a delightfully dry champagne and throwing out the obviously shriveled grapes, but I got all sweet ones. And though some would argue that luck is mammal excrement and it's all chaos anyways, I have come to believe that in life, you make your own luck. you make your own happiness. you make your own sadness. you make your own light and dark.

I loved. I lost. I conquered. I failed. I cried. I laughed. I ran. I adopted a cat!

Her name is Margaret.
[didn't realize how pissed she looked till after I posted the picture]

I read a couple books:

January~
1. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss-- main character's a rambunctious, brainy redhead. what's not to love!
2. I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali -- this book gave me goosebumps. an eye opening account of child brides, women's rights, and abusive partners. a must read.
3. The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian -- tired teen angst about consumerism and paparazzi culture.

February~ [nursingschoolatemylife]

March~
1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot -- forewarning: it took me three tries to get into this book. but once I did, it was at once a biography of a selfless woman and her family and a layperson's bio research. it will challenge you, intrigue you, and creep you the HELL out.
2. Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling -- you'd think that like 100 pages wouldn't be hard to get through, especially for a Harry Potter fan. you would be wrong.
3. Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell -- another deadpan, informative hit! Sarah Vowell is a delight, bringing life and drama to the dates and words half-remembered from grade school.
4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- because sometimes, I like to know what books pay my bills. the premise is crazy dark and most of the characters are insufferable cliches, but you know what? I'm always down to read about teens killing each other.
5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins -- did I say always? I mean, I want to kill everyone in this book. and that damn, whiny poor skank is still alive. ughhhhhhhh.

April~
1. Fluids and Electrolytes Made Incredibly Easy! -- written for a seventh grade student, not a nursing student. but you know what? those stupid cartoons stuck with me. so if you ever find yourself needing to memorize how a dearth of serum calcium manifests in the elder adult, this book is for you!
2. Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern -- this made for a fabulous audiobook. 
3. Seriously, I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres -- this didn't. it felt like a one-way conversation. perhaps the book-book version would be better?

May~
1. Billy Lynn's Long Halfway March by Ben Fountain -- 'twas advertised as a Catch-22 of the Iraq War, did not disappoint. it was a little raunchier than I remember Catch-22 being.
2. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman -- cute teeny bopper affair, about a devastating car accident and the power of loooove.

June~
1. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde -- have I mentioned how much I LOVE THIS MAN YET? if not, you should definitely read and adore his books. this is a little more approachable for non-literature dweebs, such as myself.
2. Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss -- I was less thrilled with book two than one, but still a gripping read.
3. Freakonomics: the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner -- oh, my gosh, this book. read it.
4. Sway: the Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori and Ram Brafman -- a little redundant but totally relatable. you'll be diagnosing yourself in no time.

July~
1. The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde -- yes, I believe we're picking up on a theme, here. I love me some Jasper Fforde. the second of the series about nursery crimes. yes.
2. Monkey Mind by Daniel Smith -- this is several hours of my life I'm never getting back.
3. Gold by Chris Cleave -- perfectly timed to the summer Olympics, perfectly juicy story - full of Star Wars references. loved it.
4. Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon -- this story knits together all of his previous tales with a web so involving, you want to re-read all of his other works to better understand this one.
5. Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson -- I'm not sure why I still read Bill Bryson, honestly. I feel like he missed his calling as a used car salesman and instead, writes in such a way about [in this case] his childhood. I cannot buy your childhood. I cannot go back in time to see the fifties. so, like. stahp.
6. Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore -- like most of Christopher Moore's books, it didn't change my life, but I loved it!

August~
1. Yoga Sutras of Patanjali translated by M. Stiles -- interesting verse to focus thoughts during a yoga practice. not as quotable as I was expecting.
2. This is a Book by Demetri Martin -- I like him better as a standup than an author. but the chapters of drawings? genius!
3. Best American Non-Required Reading edited by Dave Eggers -- a fascinating cross-section of American authorship throughout the year. that being said, some portions are better than others.
4. Every Day by David Levithan -- it was actually embarrassing how much I liked this book. even worse, I read it before it came out, so I couldn't talk to anyone about it. and now, I cannot remember for the life of me why.
5. Incendiary by Chris Cleave -- I liked Gold so much, I immediately bought another of his titles. biggest. miss. ever.

September~
1. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess -- never before have I read a book and feared that I might pee myself from laughing so hard. well done, The Bloggess, well done.

Novermber~
1. The Woman Who Died a Lot by [you guessed it] Jasper Fforde -- I was displeased with the last Thursday Next book, but this one more than made up for it. As ever, lovely cliffhanger to make me hate that I'm all caught up.

December~
1. The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde -- Quark!
2. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris -- this book makes me both happy and sad, full of Christmas cheer and hate.

I read 32 books this year, not bad -- considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment