Monday, October 1, 2012

I did not perfect the art of running in the rain.

A current trend in running right now is minimalist running. The belief is that without shoes to boss the muscles in your feet around, more muscle layers are engaged and running is more natural. I was more than happy to tap into my evolutionary roots for running full speed, but no shoes + acceleration = count me out. I tried that once a couple of weeks ago, actually.

Not on purpose, mind you. My real reason for going outside was to get the mail, so I deemed shoes unnecessary. (I know, too lazy to put on shoes. This is the sort of motivation I am working with here, people!) Once I was outside, I thought 'well, if I don't go running now, I just won't do it today.' Yes, first I was too lazy to put on shoes to get the mail, and then too unmotivated to go back inside, so I ran. I am a weird amalgamation of spotty logic, mild hypocrisies, and bizarre contradictions.

I made it across the street, took about four steps in the cranberry bog, landed on the natural equivalent of a Lego figurine on a carpet, and almost hit the ground. I tiptoed gingerly back onto the pavement and ran home. None of those creepy toe-shoes for me. No barefoot running through the woods. Give me my Ryka's or give me... a day of rest.

If you're wondering what I did after my disastrous au naturale run, I put on my tennis shoes and took the elliptical for a spin. I figured I had had enough nature for one day.

Speaking of environment, I felt dedicated enough to take a run on a day whose forecast predicted a 40% chance of rain. I don't believe I even own a raincoat, and I wasn't about to run with an open umbrella. I am not to this level of fitness yet:



But seriously, though. I'm not. Will accept as a Christmas gift, however. I wonder how much those weigh. Erm, anyhow. The improbable floodgates opened overhead while I was making some good progress. I was peed. I booked it back to my abode and spent some quality time with my elliptical and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart reruns. I should raid my closets for a weatherproof jacket of some sort. Cape Cod isn't exactly known for its lack of precipitation, though goodness knows everyone drives in it like they've never seen rain before.

>.>

P.S. it's almost wedding tiiiime. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment